Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Yay! 2 projects finally finished.

Twine Wrapped Box

This project took me quite a while to finish. I believe I had started it sometime in September, but due to my 1 yr old becoming mobile, I procrastinated finishing. For some reason hot glue guns and toddlers don't mix. So if you work on this project, be sure to have alone time set aside, because you will wrap and wrap and wrap twine. I guess I could have chosen a smaller container for my first dealing with this, but as usually I go big with my ideas. I had a diaper box and the perfect spot to put it after completion. The Jute Twine is not expensive at all. 1 roll of twine was less than $2 at Walmart. So really this project cost me mostly time.

I'm wrapping......I'm wrapping......I'm wrapping...... Woo!

Yay! I made it to the top! Any spots that are gaped, I went back and filled them in with the twine.. It took 1 whole roll of twine, plus just a little bit of another.

Here it is temporarily completed. And what I mean by "temporarily" is I put some ribbon on the edges. I'm going to make another box just like this one and make a fabric insert. But I don't have the fabric yet. We are going to repaint the living room and want to find something that coordinates.

So for now, I have books in my box and have it under the end table. It looks so darn cute. It beats paying for the expensive boxes that look similar. But just remember, it does take time.


Re-purposed Baby Food Jar Magnetic Spice Containers

This is a project that had been kicking around for a while too. I just couldn't find magnets that I considered strong enough, therefore the procrastination. So, we have a surplus of baby food jars, because we had reused them last year to make our own baby food. I had seen some other uses for baby food jars and spices, but had not seen them on the side of the fridge. I had one of the old wooden counter top spice racks from the 90's and decided it was best to retire it. I wanted the counter space.

As you see here the picture shows 2 magnets on each jar. I had to go back and add a 3rd magnet, to hold it to the fridge with the spices in them. I painted each lid with 2 coats of chalk board paint and let cure for 24 hours.

Here they are curing on the side of my fridge.

Spices are in the jars and lids are labeled with chalk. It helps if you sharpen the end of the chalk to get a finer tip for writing. I LOVE them! And I'm going to make more, because I have so many more jars and spices. So practical and they're not on my counter top.

No comments: