Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thirteen years ago..........yesterday


13 years ago, I was blessed with a son. He is my only boy. I was only 19 when he was born, so young, and didn't know what I was getting into. After having a scare at 35 weeks into my pregnancy, I was put on bedrest. They had me on medication for exactly 1 week. As soon as they took me off of it, I went into labor. He was ready, no holding him back. After 10 minutes of pushing, he was born at 10:55am, 36 weeks and 3 days. A beautiful baby boy! 6 pounds 5 ounces and 19.5 inches long. He tried to take in his first breath, but only gurgled. The nurses quickly took him from me, and began pumping air into his tiny new lungs. They pumped on him for 5 minutes. It seemed like an eternity. My mother ran from the birthing room to have our guests in the waiting room to pray. Finally he turned from a gray putty color to pink. He then had to stay in the nursery on oxygen for a few hours. He had a rocky start, but has been so healthy ever since that day.

Moments after his arrival
He has brought so much joy into my life. Looking back, I was so young when I had him, and have learned so much more about being a parent since then. Every now and then he reminds me of our age difference. "Mom, you know you are really not that much older than me", he says. And I reply, "But I am still your mother.". 
Baby Shower #3

My son has one of those personalities that is magnetic. He's sensitive, caring, and very in tuned to your mood. He can just sense it. Anytime I have needed a hug, he's always known. He is growing into a fine young man, and a Godly young man at that. 

2 weeks old

6 weeks old

I am lucky to be his mother. God knew what he was doing, when he sent him to me. 
Present day with his middle sister

Happy 13th Birthday, Son! You make me proud!

No comments: