Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What's growing at my house?

This morning I got up early to get ready for my postpartum checkup. I sneaked around quietly and got my shower and breakfast before the 2 little ones woke up. I baked three beautiful loaves of sourdough bread. And then I wondered if I needed to get to the Dr's office early. They had my appointment at 11am and I was supposed to have my blood drawn for a 2 hour glucose test, which meant I would be sitting there until 1pm. Thank God I called. Apparently no one told me to fast for the 2 hour test. Really, I don't remember fasting at the last one. But anyways, they rescheduled it for another day. I'm glad. I got to take a walk with the girls in the stroller and then eat lunch with my mother. 

Let me know if you want some starter. This makes awesome bread.

After lunch I took a walk around the yard, and thought about all the plants that were growing. I love spring and summer. My favoroite color is green. I love all the other colors, but to me green is life. I read somewhere that the human eye can distinguish more shades of green than any other color. Think about trees and grass. You could look at a field lined with trees and see all different kinds of green. I once said that if I could I would paint the rooms in my house all different shades of green, although I don't think that my husband would let me. Ha Ha! But I took my camera out with me today and took some pictures of what I enjoy seeing grow around my yard.


Tulips. I love tulips! These are my favorite of any flower. I actually took a pic of these before I left my mother's house. Unfortunately, I don't have any tulips at my house......yet! But I will have some soon.


Potatoes. These I started from some old Red Potatoes in my kitchen. This will be my 3rd year growing kitchen potatoes. Still haven't had to buy seed potatoes yet.


I can't remember what this plant is, but it has beautiful fuchsia blossoms.


Rows of Lettuces. Were growing Mesclun, spinach, romaine, and salad lettuces.


Our strawberries are starting to bloom. I really need to thin them out. I have a place I want to move the extras, but with a newborn, I'm not getting much done these days.


This Cilantro has been growing since last fall. The original plants went to seed. I collected most of the seed, but a few found soil. I was really surprised that these lasted all winter. We have had fresh cilantro all season.


Forsythia. These are so pretty when they bloom and then IMO they're useless the rest of the time. We have two rather large bushes that need to be trimmed WAY back.


 
Leeks. This is the first year that they have gotten so big. I planted the first ones in 2009. And transplanted them here in the boxes last year. They have really loved the new soil.

In addition, I still have oregano, catnip, peppermint, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, rosemary  and cherries growing outside. My husband says I have taken over the backyard. He's right and I'm not done yet.

Leave a comment and tell me what you have growing at your house.

No comments: