Monday, February 4, 2013

Learning to Treat Others the Way I Want to Be Treated

Before I get into my topic for today, I'll catch you up on this weekend. 

Friday night my husband treated me to a night out without the kiddos. We had a sitter, which has never happened for Miss B. She's never been away from me longer than being in the nursery at Church. But she had a blast. Hubby took me to Caraba's for a nice dinner. We were going to watch a movie at the theater, but we got a late start to the evening, and wouldn't have been able to have dinner beforehand. Dinner was great, as usual. I've never had a bad meal there. I had "The Johnny" with cavatapti pasta, and salad. Hubby had the same thing with fettuccine alfredo. And then for dessert, we had a yummy tiramisu. It had been over a year since we have had any time to ourselves. Of course right after dinner I had to call and check on B. She was a champ. It was pretty late when we left the restaurant, so we went to our local Walmart to grab me some more yarn. Then it was strait home for us "Old Folks". We did stay out until 11pm and didn't get out of bed until 9am. Such a rare treat!

Saturday morning, after we had slept in, we discovered it had snowed sometime in the night. So in a panic, we scurried around and got on the road to pick up Miss B. We didn't want her to be snowed in, away from us. It was amazing to see her face light up as she saw us walk in the door. I will say, I don't think she was told "no" the whole time away. She was quite the stinker, and a bit spoiled, after we got her home. After a few attitude corrections, she was back to her sweet self. 

Sunday, we had church in the morning, and then later were back at the church again for a Fellowship Super Bowl Party. It was really nice to be able to fellowship with the other members of our church last night, especially since I had been kinda shut up in the house. And this leads me to my topic......


Learning to Treat Others the Way I Want to Be Treated

For as long as I can remember, I have always been a part of a church body that ministered to each other. Whether it was helping someone move from one house to another, remodel a room, preparing meals for families with a birth, death, or hospitalization, or just a simple need of calling someone for prayer. But also, I have never gone to church in my own hometown. People here are just different. And especially these days, people only care about themselves. Last year when B was born, this situation really opened up my eyes. Do people not know that they need to step in and help others out? My heart was a little saddened by the circumstances. I saw a touch of it when only 4 people from church showed up to our "Church Baby Shower". I let things go, and didn't really let it bother me. We were still kinda new in the church. I had always gone to nearly ever baby shower I had ever been invited to. Who doesn't love a baby shower? But then when we had B, no one came to the hospital to visit, no one called to say congratulations, no one visited when we brought her home, and no one helped prepare us any meals to help us out. It may only be a "Southern" thing, but to me it good hospitality, and it lets others know you care. I was a bit heartbroken at that point. I felt like I had faded into the background. Do people not return kindness anymore? Had I not done enough deeds for others in the community, for them to all forget about us in a time of need? Still to this day, I don't know. 

But this is what I do know. Jesus commands us in Mark 12:31- The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." I may have gotten my panties in a wad, feelings hurt, but I was going to take this and turn it around. Maybe God has a lesson for me. Here I am in the same predicament again.....pregnant. And over the past week and a half I have been in bed rest. Not able to clean my own house, or prepare meals for my family. Thank God for my parents who have taken shifts to help us out. They are a Godsend!

After talking to my mother several times about my concerns, she mentioned a Food Ministry to our Pastor. He is on board with her ideas, and actually announced the Ministry at church yesterday morning. My mother is now organizing a group of 25 women to minister to families in our church that are in need of help preparing meals. People need to know that they are loved and cared for when they cannot do for themselves. We will be touching the lives of members that may have had a death in the family, a new baby, have been in the hospital, or have had surgery. What a great way to reach out and remind one another of God's love. For me, I didn't want others to feel what I had felt with B's birth. Of course, I'm not going to be on the team for a while. I'll be having my own new baby. I'm prepared for once again no phone calls, no visits, and no meals for my family, but that doesn't mean that I can't be a blessing to someone else. I'm really praying that God uses me as an example of his love. 

You know the old saying, "You have to be a friend to have a friend".
But my reward is in Heaven, even if no one recognizes me down here.

If you are a good cook, and would like to participate in the Church's Food Ministry, please contact me via email or Facebook, or contact my mother. There is also a sign up sheet on the visitor's table in the church lobby. Thank you for your willingness to help. And God Bless!

No comments: