Sunday, January 13, 2013

Diaper Adventures

Oh Dear! So many fun things to talk about.
 
We like to use cloth diapers. But it is a learning experience, as well as an investment. When B was first born we used cloth diapers until she was about 6 months old. I had read many blogs and watched tutorials on cloth diapers, how to wash them, etc.... We decided to go with a water-proof cover and flat fold diapers as inserts. I liked the idea of how the flat folds were thinner and could easily be washed without having poop trapped in the layers. This worked out beautifully. I had enough diapers to last several days between washings. I just dunked them into the toilet to wash off any solids, then tossed them into the diaper pail. On pretty days, I even hung them on the clothes line.
 
 
The sun made them so white!
 
 
I even hung the covers on the line.
 
But over time, the Velcro tabs gave out. We had bought the Thirsties brand. They were great for a while, until they started falling off. We had one gDiaper. Love this kind! But we only had one of them, which was not enough to support a day's worth of inserts. So, temporarily, we switched to disposables. We tried the store brands, but after about a week of wearing them, she got an awful reaction when she peed. Huggies seemed to work the best. But they are so darn expensive, even with coupons!
 
Thirsties covers
 
We have a friend at church that also cloth diapered. And now her toddler was potty trained. We are so thankful that she gave us part of her stash of cloth diapers. There were several brands of pocket diapers. This kind is a complete diaper, that you slip a thick microfiber insert into the middle of the diaper. My only hiccup with this kind, is that when they are soiled, the whole thing goes into the wash. I was so used to only removing the insert and reusing the cover. Don't get me wrong. We are definitely using these. I believe she gave us seven covers and a bunch of inserts. But I'm washing them everyday.
 
Bumgenius Brand with insert
 
 
Just a few days ago, I remembered that we had a gift card from B's Aunt and we still had money left on a Target gift card. So, I placed an order for 3 gDiapers. These should help in addition to the pocket diapers. Then I can maybe wash them every other day.
 
 
 
What is it that I like about gDiapers?  I like the fact that the plastic liner snaps in and can be wiped or washed clean in between uses. My flat fold diapers can easily be folded and laid into the liner. And I can use as many layers as I want. 1 layer for daytime, 2 layers for nap, and 3 layers for nighttime. And I can use it all day until the outer cloth gets soiled. But the best part of all, is that the tabs are backwards! Yes, backwards! I had never seen such on a diaper before I saw these. Little busy hands have a hard time reaching these tabs and ripping off their diaper. This leads me to the second part of my story today...................
 
gdiapers.jpg
See the tabs toward the back. Love it!
 
As, you may have read in my last few posts, B has not been feeling well. Back when I was small, fevers were insulated and blankets, extra clothing, etc. were piled on to break the fever. Not these days. They want you to strip off clothing to reduce a fever. I ride the fence with this idea. But we went with it this time. After her midnight chills and sweating a few nights ago, I started putting a light t-shirt on her with no bottoms, just a disposable diaper. Yes, I was using a disposable. She was drinking and wetting so much, from the fever. But this morning, I opened up her door, and to my surprise, she had a poopy diaper sitting open in her lap. There was poop on her mouth, hands, down her legs, on her stuffed animals!!!!! You get the picture. I screamed and Hubby came running with a towel. I wiped her off the best I could, and stuck her in the tub. By then both Hubby and I were laughing our heads off. My older kids never did this. So I told Hubby that she must have gotten that from him. Ha Ha! Of course she loved the bath. I got her cleaned up, got her a sippy cup, and gave her part of a chewable vitamin C tablet, hoping that would ward off any sickness from the possible poop that may have gotten eaten. I am hoping that she NEVER does this again.
 
 
Miss B wearing her cloth diaper. Tabs to the back and all.
 
Happy Weekend! Hope next week is much better.
 
 
 
 

No comments: